Wednesday, July 7, 2010

clinical trial

I just finished receiving treatment for a clinical trial. This trial is to test a potential new treatment for newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes. The study was blinded, meaning that I had a one out of three chances of receiving the placebo, and neither I, nor the study PI would know. Given that this drug is strong, and I experienced severe side effects, I'm not sure how it is possible to keep the treatment blinded. Unless, of course, they create a placebo that also gives you severe headaches. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Or maybe not everyone that receives the drug has such a severe reaction. Who knows...

So, for the last eight days, I've been waking up at 6AM to get infused with this ?? (i'm almost certain it was the drug). Not fun, I hate needles and blood. I'm definitely not a good candidate for diabetes... but nobody asked me.

The week was pretty miserable. On day three, I started feeling very sick, even taking tons of ibuprofen, I still had a fever, and the most terrible headache of my life. Although I was miserable, I'm also glad that I had such an intense reaction, because at least now I don't have to wonder whether or not I received the drug. I really hope it helps me get better. I know this is not a realistic expectation, but I'm holding out some hope that maybe I'll be off insulin for a little bit. I could really use a break. I wonder how long it will take before I feel the effect....if any.



No comments:

Post a Comment